Friday, October 24, 2014

On Watching Sonic Highways Reminisce on The D.C. Punk Scene Tonight...

I loved that "DIY and if you love it, go with it" ethos. It reminds me of Madison, WI on so many levels. Being that near such a big university, there was never anything I thought I couldn't do.

Ok, maybe I'm never going to be good enough to play a 5k crowd, let alone 50k, but who gives a shit? If you love it, you do it what you can, when you can, how you can. You be creative and wild and woolly and just go with it.

I'm not great at music. But I love it. I can make some horrible noise and some OK noise. I can do my own album art. I can record stuff on a laptop and make CD's if I feel like it.

One of my best friends in high school exemplifies that. He embraces weird, funky, and comedic with a sheer determination and subterranean genius that no ine can deny after they dig in and listen. (Art Paul, that's you.)

So I loved tonight's Sonic Highways for its spirit.

Rock on,

Dan

No comments: